Ice-Skating and Brunch in Parc des Bastions
Personally, November is definitely not my favorite time of the year as the days are becoming colder. However, there are still some outdoor activities you can do in town, like going for a long walk or putting your ice-skates on. The open-air ice-rink in Parc des Bastions is opening on Saturday! It’s quite a small one so it’s good for beginners or ideal if you have kids; it’s definitely a nice setting. Whether you wish to ice-skate or play hockey, Geneva offers several locations;
Here is a list of places open on Sundays. (For the full week schedule please check the city of Geneva website)
- Patinoire de l’Europe: behind the commercial centre Planete Charmille – av de l’Europe 11 (small outdoor one) Open from 11am to 6pm.
- Parc des Bastions: inside the park just next to the chess games (small outdoor one). Open from 11am to 6pm.
- Patinoire de Carouge: Place de Sardaigne. Open from 10am to 6pm
- Patinoire des Vernets: rue Hans-Wilsdorf 4- 6, Acacias. (big indoor one and a smaller outdoor one too) Open from 9am to 5:30pm.
- Centre Sportif de Sous-Moulin: route Sous-Moulin 39. (big indoor one) Open from 10am to 11:30 am and from 2:45pm to 7pm.
- Patinoire des Vergers: rue des Vernes, Meyrin. Open from 11am to 8:30pm
In other cities in Switzerland, they also have temporary winter ice-rinks that have just opened or will open soon. For instance the one in Murten opened last week and you can even enjoy playing eisstock – a game somewhere betweem curling and petanque.
From January onwards, make sure to head to Vallée de Joux, where you can ice-skate on the lake as soon as it’s frozen.
If you are willing to go further, try the Dolder Ice Complex in Zurich, it’s 6000 square meters!
The entrance to ice-rinks is quite cheap (never more than 6 CHF) and you can always rent ice-skates if you don’t have any. If you want to go somewhere else in Switzerland, I would recommend the one in Murten, the Fribourg Canton.
If you choose to go to Parc des Bastions on Sunday, make sure to also enjoy the brunch at the restaurant there. It’s a nice setting in the kiosk of the park, with a room big enough to bring prams if you have kids. They have a big buffet of sweet and salty food for 48 CHF (22 CHF for children) including non-alcoholic beverages and a large choice of croissants and delicious pastries, cheese, eggs, salmon, bacon and cold dishes. Open from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Better to reserve at 022 310 86 66.